Friday, March 6, 2009

Rambling at the airport

Ok, Ok, so I haven't posted anything in a month or so. Is anyone really going to notice? Well, Peter noticed. I just get sidetracked with other things that (to me) seem more pressing (like reading my quilting magazines, sewing, walking Tally, making any excuse to walk to the coffee shop, ice skating lessons, watching Oprah or Dr. Phil). I do wish I still had Jamilla because the vacuuming, cleaning and laundry won't go away. Half the time I forget about the laundry because the washer and dryer are so far buried in the basement. What can I say? I am still in the honeymoon phase of being back in a first world country, and in denial that I don't have a housekeeper. I have already digressed before even started.

I am currently sitting in an airport on a 3 hour layover. I have watched my 30's rock episode and one of my Tutor episodes, had my Starbucks, and read most of my "O" magazine. I am charging up my computer so I can ration out one more episode of Tutors on the next leg of my journey. So, I will post. (Oh yes, and I tried to call my cousin but couldn't reach her. We are always good for at least a half hour of phone time. Usually more.)

So, the topic begins as "Rambling at the airport." I have no idea how much airport time I have logged in my lifetime so far, but it has to be a bunch. I can tell you I don't miss those layovers that were middle of the night body time. I don't miss filling my suitcase with as much long life food as possible, and the 2 precious heads of lettuce I always tried to squeeze in at the last minute. I don't miss the coolers of meat that we had to disguise by loading inside a big duffle bag. No sir. I get my lettuce these days at Safeway or the local farmer's market. But those days of world travel did have their advantages. We saw a lot of the world, and our kids grew up understanding how different cultures can be. I am really glad the kids got to travel so much in their formative years. Oh yes, back to today . . . I am on my way to a wedding. It is my nephew's wedding. You know, I barely know any of my nephews or nieces, except Sarah Beth. I have two nieces and (let me count) seven nephews on my side of the family. Wow. Since we lived overseas for so many years we just never got together to get to know them. (I will just leave out the family dysfunction and all that . . . you know . . . stuff.) We just didn't get together. I am rather sorry not to know my nieces and nephews better. I am sure it would be fun to have more of a relationship with them, but I am trying to make those amends now every chance I get. So off to the wedding I go! I hope it will be fun. Weddings usually are, eh?

One of these days I am going to write a post about Jamilla,  Cowsar, and Margaret. Stay tuned. Umm. Time to check my downloads.

1 comment:

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

Well, welcome back, stranger! I "see" more of your daughter than you these days. Okay, not fair. But I DO miss you!

I know what you mean about the airport thing. I don't miss that aspect at ALL! In fact, I haven't been on planes for international travel at ALL since we came back from the UK in Dec 05 - oh, bliss! I discovered the other day that I'm an "old fart ex-expat" when I went on to someone about traveling "back in the days" when we could have multiple carry-ons, got meals on each flight, bags were checked for free and if you got the right porter, he'd sneak that third, slightly over 70lb bag onto that London flight for nothing. OH, and we took LIQUIDS on board - COPIOUS quantities of liquids no less.

That's when it hit me that I'm OLD! At least I left out the six miles uphill in snow part.